Tukku Sanyu Kidde – Welcome to my blog

Tukku Sanyu Kidde – Welcome to my blog


I'm Simon and I'm a volunteer in Uganda.

My project is called Global Village Network. We are based on a Farm north-east of Kampala.

Our objectives are to fight poverty by improving sanitation, employment agricultural output and education in this area.

I'm staying here for a year and I'm teaching at a primary school in Kalanam.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Invasion


I woke up and I heard the sound of rain. It was around 5 O'clock.
I thought: “Shit! I got to go to the toilet.”
For your information, our toilet is outside...
Now, while I was lying in my bed, trying to think of a solution, I noticed a unusually high number of insects crawling around my bed.
Annoyed and disgusted I opened my eyes.
First of all the light outside on the balcony was on. This is quite normal, because we always ( if we have power) leave it on for security reasons.
The second thing I noticed was the vibrating curtain above my head.


. . .


“Why the **** is it vibrating???????”
Before really figuring out what was happening some basic instincts told me to get my head out of reach of this god forsaken curtain.
So I lay down the other side of the bed and I observed.
And I listened. To the rain.
Rain?
There was a monotone drumming sound against the window in combination with another unidentifiable sound.
This and the increasing number of crawling things under and on my blanket, finally made me realize:
What invaded the room and brought my curtain to life, was neither the devil nor some evil spirits
                - it was a giant swarm of flying insects.

More precisely ants, flying ones! - How I was told later that day.
So after a five minute period of shock, I got up, trying to find a bug-free place.
First I turn on the light. Bad Idea - More Bugs.
So I go outside.
…
Shock!
I've never seen something similar.
The biggest, most horrific swarm of insects I ever saw, each of them fighting for a spot on the light bulb.
What really confused me though, was the fact that a group of people was exactly in the middle of this crawling and flying ocean of ants.
It just made no sense. But since I was still on the run, I first of all walked abut 20 meters away from the scene – thats about as much as it took to get away from the worst (there were still some ants around).
I took a deep breath and tried to figure everything out.
OK, first things first: I still have to go to the toilet.
After finishing my business, I returned back to unsolved puzzle in front of our house.
Now I `can see what the people are doing:
They are collecting them. They are collecting flying ants.
…
Guess what we had for Lunch.





After removing the wings...

The people collecting the ants.


They show me their catch.

 Our balcony in the morning.
 A battlefield... 



 Close ups!





Mhhhhhhh.... Tasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment