Tukku Sanyu Kidde – Welcome to my blog

Tukku Sanyu Kidde – Welcome to my blog


I'm Simon and I'm a volunteer in Uganda.

My project is called Global Village Network. We are based on a Farm north-east of Kampala.

Our objectives are to fight poverty by improving sanitation, employment agricultural output and education in this area.

I'm staying here for a year and I'm teaching at a primary school in Kalanam.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Invasion


I woke up and I heard the sound of rain. It was around 5 O'clock.
I thought: “Shit! I got to go to the toilet.”
For your information, our toilet is outside...
Now, while I was lying in my bed, trying to think of a solution, I noticed a unusually high number of insects crawling around my bed.
Annoyed and disgusted I opened my eyes.
First of all the light outside on the balcony was on. This is quite normal, because we always ( if we have power) leave it on for security reasons.
The second thing I noticed was the vibrating curtain above my head.


. . .


“Why the **** is it vibrating???????”
Before really figuring out what was happening some basic instincts told me to get my head out of reach of this god forsaken curtain.
So I lay down the other side of the bed and I observed.
And I listened. To the rain.
Rain?
There was a monotone drumming sound against the window in combination with another unidentifiable sound.
This and the increasing number of crawling things under and on my blanket, finally made me realize:
What invaded the room and brought my curtain to life, was neither the devil nor some evil spirits
                - it was a giant swarm of flying insects.

More precisely ants, flying ones! - How I was told later that day.
So after a five minute period of shock, I got up, trying to find a bug-free place.
First I turn on the light. Bad Idea - More Bugs.
So I go outside.
Shock!
I've never seen something similar.
The biggest, most horrific swarm of insects I ever saw, each of them fighting for a spot on the light bulb.
What really confused me though, was the fact that a group of people was exactly in the middle of this crawling and flying ocean of ants.
It just made no sense. But since I was still on the run, I first of all walked abut 20 meters away from the scene – thats about as much as it took to get away from the worst (there were still some ants around).
I took a deep breath and tried to figure everything out.
OK, first things first: I still have to go to the toilet.
After finishing my business, I returned back to unsolved puzzle in front of our house.
Now I `can see what the people are doing:
They are collecting them. They are collecting flying ants.
Guess what we had for Lunch.





After removing the wings...

The people collecting the ants.


They show me their catch.

 Our balcony in the morning.
 A battlefield... 



 Close ups!





Mhhhhhhh.... Tasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment