Tukku Sanyu Kidde – Welcome to my blog

Tukku Sanyu Kidde – Welcome to my blog


I'm Simon and I'm a volunteer in Uganda.

My project is called Global Village Network. We are based on a Farm north-east of Kampala.

Our objectives are to fight poverty by improving sanitation, employment agricultural output and education in this area.

I'm staying here for a year and I'm teaching at a primary school in Kalanam.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

no idea how I should name this post... i'll come up with a name later



  • O sibi otya nyabo?
  • Bulungi sebo, o sibi otya sebo?
  • Bulungi nyabo, jebale!
  • Kale Sebo, nawe jebale!
  • Kale Nyabo!


“What is this supposed to mean?”
“Why does this guy keep on writing in a language that I don't understand?”
Thats probably what most of you are thinking right now, and why I'm doing it?
  • I have no clue.
But anyway this is how people great each other in Luganda.
It was really kinda hard to get the hang of it at first, but slowly I'm getting it.
I can buy stuff in shops and do some small talk without using any English!
It's just the numbers that sometimes get me:
  • Sebo, Rolex sente mmeka? (Mister, how much is that Rolex?)
  • Nkumi Biri. ( 1500 )
  • Whats that in English???

I still can't really manage to follow or have a proper conversation, but I'm positive that I'll get there!

Now what am I doing at the moment?
I'm a primary school teacher and I teach English to P4 and P3, Science to P4 and spelling to P1 and P2.
The school is really small, same as the classes (10-15 students) – what I'm really happy about, cause its already really hard to keep them under control!
We have 3 Teachers (4 including me) at the moment, which is why two classes are always taught together. This makes it really hard finding an appropriate level that everybody understands, but does not bore half of them to death.
Also do we not have enough school material. For example: In English we have three pupil books and none for the teacher. Since three books are almost impossible to share between 15 pupils we use them as teacher books.
The really bad thing about it is that we have to write everything on the board, whether it is an exercise, or a story that you want to read. Do you have any idea about how long it takes for a class to copy a page long story from the blackboard?
- You can plan one or two hours for that!
Apart from school material, the lack of knowledge in English in many kids makes it really hard, since my Luganda ain't that good yet, to explain new kinds of exercises, especially in the lower classes like P1 & 2.
Enough for now!
And write some comments!!!


We're building a fence (:




                                         At the farm next to us - we own a few cows there

Shafic

People trying to catch small fish

Dancan at the well 


Our baby cow :D



Inside the school - P4 and P3



A frog...

Inside the hen house





3 comments:

  1. Hey Simon!

    i've been trying to post a comment for ages but the damn thing wouldnt work haha...it's anushka by the way
    gosh, it must be tough for sure..gotta hand it to you for trying to do what you can do with the limited resources...makes you think of the things we take for granted back here in the UAE..
    kids, the younger they are the tougher it is to handle them...in time when you get a better command over the language you'll find it easier to communicate to them, and in that way you can maybe be a bit stricter or something so that they don't drive you up the wall =)

    keep writing, a bunch of us are vouching for you here =)
    sending tons of good vibes
    -anushka

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S did you find Konny :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. not yet, but I'll keep my eyes open.

    ReplyDelete